Burry Stander trial delayed due to illness

Home / Burry Stander trial delayed due to illness
Burry Stander Court Case

Cape Town – The trial of taxi driver Njabulo Nyawose, accused of killing Olympic cyclist Burry Stander, was postponed by the Port Shepstone Magistrate’s Court on Wednesday, the NPA said.

“The attorney who represented Nyawose sent in a colleague who then said to the court that he is sick and won’t be coming,” said Kwazulu-Natal National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) spokesperson Natasha Ramkisson-Kara.

The trial was postponed to 28 and 29 May.

Ramkisson-Kara said it had initially been set down for Wednesday and Thursday.

Nyawose is out on a warning.

Stander, 25, was cycling in Shelley Beach on the KwaZulu-Natal south coast when he was struck by a minibus taxi Nyawose was allegedly driving on 3 January last year.

The culpable homicide charge was provisionally dropped against him in July pending a decision by the director of public prosecutions.

The charge, which is reckless or negligent driving in the alternative, was reinstated soon afterwards.

Stander was fifth in the men’s cross-country cycling race at the 2012 London Olympics.

At the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing he finished 15th in the cross-country event.

Contact Us

Thank you for contacting us we will get back to you shortly.

Not readable? Change text. captcha txt

Start typing and press Enter to search

News#IRide4Burry-27